How many of you have ever
seen violence in films? What’s that? All of you? Hhmmm, interesting. But far
from surprising.
It could be as laughable
as the Hugh Grant and Colin Firth ‘fight’ scene (for want of a better word) in
Bridget Jones, or it could be as needlessly gratuitous as virtually any scene
in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the (literally) eye-popping torture scene in
Casino…either way, it’s safe to say we’d all struggle to find a single film
which doesn’t have some form of
fisticuffs in (even Toy Story has a few fights in it!).
And if certain ‘experts’are to be believed, the scenes in these films are the driving force behind much of the
violence in real life.
And I wonder…how much truth
is there in this?
Personally, I’m not
convinced by the cinematic conspiracy theories. Maybe that’s because I’m not so
easily swayed, and maybe because I’m too ‘in control’ and won’t let Hollywood shove me over the edge into insanity. But ask
yourself – seeing that all of us have witnessed countless examples of violence on
the silver screen, and yet (as far as I know) none of you reading this have
gone on to commit any atrocities or acts of hate…how much impact do these
movies have?
I mean just because I’ve
seen 'Catch Me If You Can', does that mean I'm going to become a world-renowned
fraudster? No. Because I've seen 'Trainspotting', am I going to develop an insatiable heroin addiction?
Or because I’ve seen 'Withnail and I' going to start downing lighter fluid? Or because
I’ve seen 'Wedding Crashers', am I going to hit weddings to pick up girls? No,
no, and...maybe.
But I should be clear; I’m
not trying to belittle any of the incidents which the media are trying to lay
at the feet of the red carpet. Events like the Fairfax (VA) murder in 2007 and
the Colorado killingsin 2012 were horrible and my heart goes out to the families involved.
Truly.
But I can’t help but
notice that in the history of Hollywood ,
of the hundreds of thousands of films
created in the last 100 years, less than 0.01% of these films have been
reported to have inspired copy cat violence.
In fact come to think of
it, I’d say that video games have a far greater influence by turning a passive
viewer (cinema) into an active force of fighting and killing and maiming…y’know?
But it’s not a case of
finger pointing between films and games and rappers over who’s had the biggest
negative impact on its audience. But in the same instance, nor is it a case of
finger pointing by ‘experts’ and other media institutes.
I mean what about the
news? News reports bring some of the most horrendous things into our living
rooms, and while it’s not glorifying these acts, it is introducing us all to
the darker side of life, so while the media exists (and by that I obviously
include the web), people will be open to violence and war and crime.
But then we can’t be shut
off from the world, so what to do? Well it seems to me that people just need to
learn to control their emotions better, and that when they go watch a Tarantino
movie, or when they read American Psycho, or when they play COD, they realise
these are works of fiction. FICTION! And if they do get you hot under the
collar, go jerk off or hit a punch bag or something…y’dig? This ain’t rocket
science.
But I’ve rambled on long
enough.
The point I want to make
is; are we justified in lambasting the oft vilified Tarantino, and are we right
to say that the bloody red carpet is in fact to blame for the attacks
over the year?
In short, no. I don’t
think we are. I think in those unfortunate instances, there is a pre-existing
tendency towards insanity – or at least instability – and that’s the kicker. Cinematic
copy cat killings just happen to make a convenient scapegoat.
But then again, everyone
knows that Hitler was a big Chaplin fan, and having two of the same terrible
‘taches can’t be mere coincidence…can it?
No comments:
Post a Comment